Thursday 21 February 2013

Task 1: Exploring the Frame


Aspect Ratio

"In its simplest form, aspect ratio is used to describe the relationship between two sides of a rectangle.

It's not the measurements of each side of the rectangle, its the ratio of one side compared to the other.

For example, if I have a rectangle that measures 1120 by 840 inches, this rectangle has an aspect ratio of 4:3. In this case, the aspect ratio is just both sides of the rectangle divided by 280. If my rectangle measured 840 by 560 the aspect ratio would be 3:2.

Every consumer digital SLR sensor is in the shape of a rectangle.

When people talk about the aspect ratio of a particular camera, they are simply referring to the dimensions of the digital SLR sensor.

The vast majority of digital SLR cameras have sensors with an aspect ratio of 3:2.

An aspect ratio of 3:2 matches the aspect ratio of a standard 4x6 inch print

What this really means: when you take photos with a camera that has a 3:2 sensor, none of the prints that you make at 4x6 will get cropped. What you see on the monitor is what you'll see in the print."

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/aspect-ratio.html




Above is my attempt at showing aspect ratio within a photograph. My camera, a Nikon D3100, has a 3:2 aspect ratio. My frame as see in the photograph is 4x6 inches and my camera settings were a shutter speed of 1/60 and F4.2.

I found this task surprisingly difficult because without using the flash so as no to make the image appear flat I had to rely on natural light. I had to work out the balance between shutter speed and aperture. I had to have a fairly quick shutter speed so I could hold the frame and camera but still have enough light actually going into the camera. 

The result being that the photo has a swallow depth of field with selective focus.

With the photo above, I was trying to show the odd one out and in the frame. I do feel that I achieved this even if it is done a bit crudely.

No comments:

Post a Comment